The Chesapeake Life Center will offer a variety of adult bereavement support groups that will meet in person and virtually this winter.
The following bereavement support groups will meet in person:
- Four-week general bereavement in-person support group is a lively group offering participants the opportunity to explore the themes of grief and share strategies for dealing with grief in a community of trust. A four week commitment is required. Two groups will meet from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Thursdays from February 3 to 24. One will meet at our Charles County office at 2505 Davis Road, Waldorf, Maryland, and the other will meet at the John & Cathy Belcher campus. , 90 Ritchie Highway, Pasadena, Maryland.
- Death of spouse Monthly evening group is for people who mourn the death of a spouse or life partner. It will meet on the John & Cathy Belcher campus from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month, January 12, February 9 and March 9.
- Four week group for loss of parent will focus on exploring the loss of a parent or parent figure. Whether you are grieving the loss of a parent or someone who was like a parent, wherever you are in your grieving process, whatever the relationship, you are welcome. A four week commitment is required. It will meet on the John & Cathy Belcher campus from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Thursdays from March 3 to 24.
- Eight week group for traumatic loss will be led by clinicians with expertise in traumatic loss and will focus on how to heal death losses involving trauma. It is a safe space where participants can learn grounding skills, contain overwhelming feelings, release trauma to the body, and safely express loss and its circumstances. An eight week commitment is required. It will meet on the John & Cathy Belcher campus from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesdays from March 22 to May 10.
As per Center for Disease Control and local government guidelines, the number of people allowed to participate in in-person programs is limited to allow for physical distancing. Face masks must be worn at all times. Babysitting is not provided and children are not allowed in any of these groups.
The following groups will meet virtually through Zoom for Healthcare:
- Death of partner / spouse Monthly morning group is for people who mourn the death of a spouse or life partner. It will meet from 10:30 a.m. to noon on the second Wednesday of the month, January 12, February 9 and March 9.
- Nourish the grieving heart through yoga is a four-week virtual workshop led by certified yoga instructor Cathy Rees. This workshop will help participants explore how grief manifests in your mind and body. This gentle exploration reveals a compassionate way to move through your suffering on a path of healing. No experience is necessary. People can participate with a yoga mat or with a chair. It will meet from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on Thursdays from February 17 to March 10.
Recognizing that not everyone has access to this technology or may not be comfortable with it, the center suggests people call or email the office and grief professionals will work with individuals. to help them find other appropriate resources if necessary.
Two groups will meet both in person and virtually:
- Child Loss Support Group will meet both in person and virtually. This group is for parents who have experienced the death of a child, regardless of age or circumstances. The group will meet at our Pasadena campus as well as through Zoom for Healthcare from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday of the month, January 5, February 2 and March 2.
- SoulCollage Grieving Support Group asks participants to create a series of collages to commemorate lost loved ones and to visually record the grieving process. The group will meet from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday January. February 10, 7 and March 7 at the association’s office at 9500 Medical Center Drive, Suite 250, in Largo, MD, as well as via Zoom.
Registration is required for all groups and can be completed by calling 888-501-7077 or sending an email [email protected]. Visit www.hospicechesapeake.org/events for a complete listing of in-person and virtual groups and workshops for adults and children.
Category: Events, NEIGHBORHOOD LIFE, Local news, NEWS