COLONEL ELIZABETH A. APTEKAR – Commander, 60th Mission Support Group > Travis Air Force Base > View
Col. Liz Aptekar is the commanding officer of the 60th Mission Support Group, Travis Air Force Base, Calif. It leads more than 1,900 members in six squadrons providing installation and mission support activities, including civil engineering, communications, contracts, personnel, security forces and logistics readiness. His team supports a grassroots community of 135,000 people and oversees an annual budget of $100 million and resources exceeding five billion dollars.
The group provides direct support to the 60th Air Mobility Wing, a worldwide air mobility mission. C-5M Super Galaxy, KC-10 Extender and C-17 Globemaster III aircraft assigned to Travis AFB participate in airlift and air-to-air refueling missions, respond to combat operations directed by the Joint Chiefs of Staff and support US State Department-sponsored humanitarian relief efforts worldwide. His team helps ensure the readiness and well-being of more than 26,100 active duty, reserve, civilian and contract personnel and their families.
Colonel Aptekar enlisted in the US Air Force in 1993. She was appointed in May 2000 as a Distinguished Graduate under the Reserve Officers Training Corps program.
In previous assignments, she has served as the Public Affairs Officer in the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Media Operations Officer at Air Force Headquarters, and Response Area Team Leader for the Secretary of the Air Force Nuclear Task Force. , Washington, DC She also served as a technical training squadron commander, aide-de-camp, and PA combat major during Operation Iraqi Freedom.
1997 – Associate of Arts degree in Liberal Studies with Honors, Rose State College, Midwest City, Okla.
1998 – Associate of Applied Science in Personnel Administration, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 – Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations cum laudeUniversity of Southern California, Los Angeles, California.
2000 – Basic Aerospace Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 – Department of Defense Joint Course in Communication, University of Oklahoma, Okla.
2006 – Squadron Officers School (in residence), Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006-2008 – Air Force Intern Program (Residence), Washington, DC
2007 – Master of Arts in Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, DC
2008 – Air Command and Staff College (by correspondence), Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2010 – Intermediate Joint Public Affairs Course, School of Defense Information, Fort Meade, Maryland.
2018 – Masters in Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. February 1994-October 1997, Staff Mate, 552nd Air Control Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.
2. July 2000-September 2001, Chief of Internal Information, 1st Fighter Wing Public Affairs, Langley Air Force Base, Virginia.
3. January-March 2001, Student, Public Affairs Officer Course, Defense Information School, Fort Meade, Maryland.
4. September 2001-February 2002, Chief of Media Relations, 1st Fighter Wing Public Affairs, Langley Air Force Base, Virginia.
5. March 2002-May 2003, Commander of Detachment 15, Air Force News Agency and Deputy Commander/Operations Officer, American Forces Network-Korea, Yongsan Army Installation, Republic of Korea
6. June 2003-August 2003, student, Department of Defense Joint Course in Communication, University of Oklahoma, Okla.
7. September 2003-February 2004, Deputy Chief, US Air Force Europe Internal Information Division, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
8. March-September 2004, Commander’s Action Group Special Public Affairs Action Officer to Commander US Air Forces Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
9. October – December 2005, Aide-de-Camp to Commander US Air Force Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
10. January – May 2006, Joint Operations Center Public Affairs Nightshift Battle Major, Multi National Corps Iraq, Camp Victory, Iraq
11. May – July 2006, Public Affairs Operations Action Officer, United States Air Force Europe Headquarters, Ramstein AB, Germany
12. August 2006 – June 2008, Air Force Intern and George Washington University Fellow, Pentagon, Washington, DC
13. June 2008 – October 2008, Focus Area Team Leader, Air Force Nuclear Task Force Secretary, Washington D.C.
14. October 2008 – June 2009, Current Operations Officer, Secretary of Air Force Public Affairs, Washington DC
15. June 2009 – August 2011, Public Affairs Officer, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Washington DC
16. September 2011 – October 2012, Head of Public Affairs, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany.
17. October 2012 – April 2013, Public Affairs Officer/Advisor to the Senior Defense Official, Ankara Coordination Directorate, Office of Defense Cooperation, Turkey.
18. May 2013 – September 2013, Head of Public Affairs, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany.
19. September 2013 – June 2015, Deputy Director, Air Force Global Strike Command Public Affairs, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
20. July 2015 – June 2017, Commander, 335th Training Squadron, 81st Training Group, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
July 21, 2017– May 2018, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama.
22. July 2018 – May 2019, Director, US Air Forces Central Command Public Affairs, US Central Command, Southwest Asia
July 23, 2019 – July 2021, Director, Space and Missile Systems Center Public Affairs, US Space Force, Los Angeles AFB, CA.
24. August 2021 – June 2022, Director, United States Space Command Public Affairs, US Space Command, Peterson SFB, Colo.
25. June 2022 – present, Commander, 60th Mission Support Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
PRIZES AND MAJOR DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with an Oak Leaf Cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Medal of Honor
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Army Medal of Honor
Joint Service Medal with an Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
2010 Air Force Outstanding Communications Field Officer
PROMOTION EFFECTIVE DATES
Second Lieutenant May 12, 2000
First Lieutenant June 11, 2002
Captain June 11, 2004
Major May 1, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel February 1, 2015
Colonel Jan 1, 2020
(Updated as of June 2022)