International Organization for Migration (IOM) iDiaspora Photo Contest ($2,500 prize)
Application deadline: November 4, 2022
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) and IBER-RUTAS – Program which aims to contribute to the promotion of cultural diversity in Ibero-America for the protection of the rights of migrants from an intercultural perspective – invite professional and amateur photographers to participate in the iDiaspora photo contest.
Through this activity, IOM and IBER-RUTAS seek to highlight the socio-cultural contributions of diasporas and migrant communities around the world and to recognize their talent.
The main theme of the contest is “Diaspora”.
- The IOM defines the diaspora as “migrants or descendants of migrants whose identity and sense of belonging, real or symbolic, have been shaped by their migration experience and origins. They maintain ties with their country of origin and with each other, based on a shared sense of history, identity or mutual experiences in the country of destination”.
The The iDiaspora Photo Contest is looking for a set of 3 photographs per entrant representing some of the following categories:
1. Navigating identities: Is there a relationship between the homeland of the diaspora and the new land? How do diasporas express their sense of belonging to multiple societies?
2. Young people and their roots: What is it like to be born or to grow up as a member of the diaspora? How can young people connect with their homeland?
3. Diasporas as influencers: how do the diaspora positively contribute to their societies through the use of technology?
4. Diasporas help their communities: what does it look like to help communities during a crisis?
First Prize USD 1,500.
Second prize USD 700.
Third Prize USD 300.
The iDiaspora Photo Contest will have two categories: Amateur and professional.
To apply for the competition:
1. Register at iDiaspora.org – “iDiaspora Photo Contest”.
2. Create a profile and fill in your personal data by clicking on the “apply” button.
3. Fill in the details of the photos: Title, a brief description of the photographic series, and how it evokes the themes of the competition (between 100 and 150 words).
4. Submit a photographic series of 3 unpublished photographs, in JPG format up to 8 MB.
Registration is free and open until November 4, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. in Geneva, Switzerland.
For more information: