Application deadline: ongoing
The WTO Support Program for Doctoral Studies (also known as the Doctoral Internship Programme) aims to support the development of academic expertise on WTO issues in developing countries. The WTO Secretariat invites PhD students from developing countries to conduct research at the WTO and offers them mentoring/advice in close collaboration with the academic supervisors of the students.
Participants of the Doctoral Internship Program are expected to advance their doctoral dissertations during their time at the WTO, enjoying access to WTO facilities and information as well as opportunities to interact with the general community. trade policies. They are not expected to undertake missions on behalf of the WTO Secretariat. A tutor is assigned to the doctoral student for the duration of his internship. The role of the mentor is to advise the student, if necessary, in close collaboration with the student’s academic supervisors. Before the end of the doctoral internship program, the participant is required to give a seminar on his work.
A candidate must:
- be a national of a WTO Member State or of a country or customs territory involved in accession negotiations
- be a national of a least developed country (LDC) or a developing country
- undertaking a PhD or equivalent in economics, law, international relations or a discipline closely related to the WTO
- be in the final phase of their doctorate and therefore in the writing phase (minimum 75% completion) of the thesis
- work in one of the three official languages of the WTO, namely English, French and Spanish
From three to six months.
- PhD Internship Program interns receive a daily allowance of CHF 60 (including weekends and public holidays included in the selected period). In addition, travel costs (economy class airfare) to and from Geneva are covered by the WTO.
- Medical coverage by health insurance is compulsory in Switzerland and interns are required to take out their own health insurance before starting their internship at the WTO.
How to register
Applicants wishing to participate in the WTO Doctoral Studies Support Program are invited to complete the application form and submit required documents.
For more information: